[lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Mon Jul 14 07:51:59 PDT 2003

Well, I meant to catch this prog, but alas. What I'm interested in is how the gay male gaze is being used in the service of heterosexual couplings.

Queer men the ones who can authoritatively tell hetmen how to dress for hetwomen. Do lesbians really have no style?

hmmmmmmmmm. Woman as vessel in relations between Buoyz. HA!

but, then, I didn't catch the show. still, that was what I thought when I saw the previews. It was if the Fab Five were these cutsie buoyz there to be laughed at while their knowledge was to serve the gaze of the hetchixor, erasing the queer male gaze.

Where the hell is Cat? Do you need/want videotape of this Cat?

Kelley

At 01:07 PM 7/13/03 -0400, you wrote:

>***** New York Times July 13, 2003
>Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover
>By JOHN SELLERS
>
>IF there were rap sheets detailing crimes of straight-maleness, mine would
>have more than a few misdemeanors. I have been to Hooters more times than
>I've eaten sushi. I refer to both men and women as "dude." And in my
>bathroom, right above the toilet, I proudly hang a print of dogs playing poker.
>
>So when I heard about the new Bravo series "Queer Eye for the Straight
>Guy," in which five fashionable gay men remake, redecorate and reoutfit
>the lives and apartments of hapless heteros,

<...>