[lbo-talk] I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried

steve philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sun Jul 13 10:55:51 PDT 2003

Meanwhile, gunmen in an Iraqi police vehicle shot at American troops at a checkpoint in Baghdad on Sunday and the soldiers returned fire, witnesses said. It was not clear if there were any casualties, and the U.S. military had no immediate comment. The Americans have been training Iraqi police, and it was not immediately known if the gunmen were actual police or insurgents using the vehicle.

U.S. forces also detained nine "high value targets" in raids near Mosul, in northern Iraq. None of the suspects were on the list of 55 most wanted Iraqis from Saddam's old regime.

The military also announced that one soldier was killed and two others injured early Sunday when a tractor trailer crashed accidentally into their vehicle, which was parked at a checkpoint outside a base in Diwaniyah, 100 miles south of Baghdad. The names of the soldiers are being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

The Army's 4th Infantry Division launched operation