[lbo-talk] This just in, Chickens have lips

steve philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sun Jul 13 11:17:10 PDT 2003

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45991-2003Jul11.html

Only a month ago, in testimony before the House Armed Services Committee, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz was playing down any notion of surprise at the extent of postwar fighting. "As we expected and planned for," he told the House committee, "smaller combat operations in Iraq continue, even as we work with Iraqis to establish stable and secure areas throughout Iraq."

"Expected and planned for"? Mortar attacks, drive-by shootings, ambushes in broad daylight, 32 U.S. soldiers slain since May -- all this after President Bush declared Baghdad a done deal? Yeah, Wolfowitz and company saw it coming, all right. Chickens also have lips.