[lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 13 17:21:51 PDT 2003

Miles Jackson wrote:

> > Wow. Sometimes I think there is hope for America.
>>
>> Doug
>
>I know Doug's joking here, but let's face it: gayification of men
>in the U. S. is not going to do anything to challenge the
>existing patterns of domination and exploitation.

Well at least some of them - gender cliches help enforce patriarchy, and their erosion means the weakening of patriarchy, which means a challenge to existing patterns of domiantion and exploitation. That doesn't mean the overturning of capitalism by any means, but it's still pretty important. Besides, anything tending towards less ugliness in the USA is deeply welcome. There's just loads of hideous crap in this country.

Doug