[lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 14 07:22:45 PDT 2003

>I don't want to get prissy about this. But this show leaves me with a very uneasy feeling.

I agree. There is something to be said for the gay makeover: it asks straight men to pay attention to details they have been taught to (or choose to) overlook and call insignificant--ie. food, appearance, manners, all things snooty and feminine. But let's not overstate the case. Lots of stuff in gay male culture revels in crappy hypermasculine stereotype. (As we might guess, the big swinging dick is rather lionized.) And there are plenty of gay men who are clueless or canny assholes--wasn't the CFO of WorldCom or Enron gay?

Christian