[lbo-talk] Third Party Solutions (was Re: Lieberman)

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Mon Jul 14 21:25:51 PDT 2003

Jon Johanning wrote:
> Does any supporter of third parties have a good
> refutation of the conventional argument against
> the possibility of such parties: that the
> non-parliamentary, winner-takes-all nature of the
> U.S. system makes them impossible as practical
> political projects?

I would not say impossible. It does, however, make the two-party system an overarching reality that requires more consideration that it often gets. I don't take that as the final word for third parties, but rather evidence of a two-party state. I'm not a defeatist about this, but do get frustrated with the lack of attention on the part of us third party advocates. It's one thing to appreciate the degree to which we live in a two-party state, it's another to simply resign ourselves to it.

Jenny, any thoughts from a Labor Party vantage on this subject?

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!