[lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jul 14 21:47:19 PDT 2003

At 7:05 PM -0700 7/14/03, Miles Jackson wrote:
> > I really don't see anything wrong with it either. Within reason, attempting
>> to look a little better is respectful and courteous to our loved ones, and
>> to the world at large. And in the ugly landscape that is much of America,
> > often the only way to maintain some aesthetic standard in one's daily life.
> > Liza
>
>This assumes that the standards of "better" are benign, natural
>products of good sense. On the contrary: the beauty standards are a
>product of a complex array of socioeconomic and political forces.

Beauty is one thing; style is entirely another. One doesn't have to be beautiful to be stylish, and the point of queering is to learn to develop style, rather than to conform to the existing standards of beauty.

Take Oscar Wilde, Andy Warhol, John Waters, Jimmy Somerville, etc. None of them is beautiful by conventional standards, but they all got style. -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>