[lbo-talk] Co-opting Solidarity: Privilege in the Palestine Solidarity Movement

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 15 14:27:39 PDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:21:28 -0400, Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:

> Onward magazine should be read with a large salt shaker. It frequently
> contains alot of liberal political correctness masqueradin as radical
> political analysis.
>
> Chuck0

Chuck, did you read the piece, which critiques pseudo-left PC masquarding as radical praxis?

Here is a snippet I just sent to the one of the ufpj lists, as a reply to the Yoshiebot
<furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:   ... (Did anyone notice that few Arab and/or Muslim delegates, much less Palestinian delegates, attended the UFPJ conference in Chicago? Are there any Palestinian activists on this listserv?...

Something that was mentioned in, "Co-opting Solidarity: Privilege in the Palestine Solidarity Movement, " by Nicole Solomon http://www.onwardnewspaper.org/archives/2-2002/solomon.html ...Not every U.S. activist involved in Palestinian solidarity efforts is acting in ways accountable to Palestinians and others involved in the movement. These activists often occupy privileged locations of identity whiteness and, more often than not, WASPiness and class privilege. Such activists may plan actions supposedly on behalf of Palestinians yet structured around agendas other than what might actually be useful to Palestinian people. For example, activists may initiate (or attempt to initiate, the more common occurrence in April in DC) illegal, potentially high risk activities that could endanger Muslims, Arabs and South Asians in the area, generally at a much higher risk than, for example, white goy anarchists. High risk actions for Palestine are not acceptable when privileged activists organize them without discussion with Muslim and Arab groups, particularly when there was no call for such activities from Muslim, Arab and South Asian groups. Such situations especially occur in contexts where majority white and goy groups claiming to be pro-Palestinian liberation activists have little to no relationship or communication with South Asian, Arab and Muslim communities in general. Many white goy activists autonomously plan pro-Palestinian actions they think sound cool, without any familiarity with the work already done by Arab, Muslim and South Asian activists groups or how they could usefully plug in. Such activists act in ways unaccountable to the people they are supposedly with. Non-Palestinians engaging in solidarity work must support Palestinians, not use the Palestinian solidarity movement as an opportunity to advance their own (conscious or unconscious) agendas. A dangerous trend emerging here, which has emerged over and over in radical movement, is activism as co-optation, not in solidarity. In the 60s and early 70s the Black Panther Party was exoticized by white U.S. activists who got pleasure from their edgy Similar dynamics can be seen today with white radicals in the globalization movement fixing their colonial gaze upon yet another oppressed and group...   -- -- Michael Pugliesebot