[lbo-talk] Re: Queen for a day

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Tue Jul 15 14:39:47 PDT 2003

At 05:15 PM 7/15/03 -0400, jbujes at covad.net wrote:

>A pedicure is one of life's great pleasures and it costs about $15.00 once
>a month
>(including tip).

so the pedicurist is clearing, what? minimum wage for providing one of life's greatest pleasures? ouchie! i assume a pedicure takes an hour? presumably she gets paid minimum wage, slightly better with the tip? I assume that she doesn't clear $15 because she'll operate like hair stylists and have to pay rent for the space at the salon? i don't know, since i have never had one done professionally. (no one touches these ticklish feet or you die!)

no, no, sorry: i'm not asking you to don a hairshirt and renounce life's pleasures or pretend you can live cleanly in a dirty world. you can't.

this reminded me of a convo i had at an ASA conference with a feminist male friend of mine. he'd gone ahead and rented a rickshaw and how he felt just wrong about it in a way he didn't feel wrong about picking up take out dinner at the local supermarket. he could afford both luxuries because someone else worked for a wage that he would never have to work for again. but with the rickshaw, the subservient position of the person laboring for his ride just bothered the hell out of him.

k ehrenreich :)