[lbo-talk] Re: queen for a day

Hilary Russ hilarious4 at msn.com
Wed Jul 16 09:18:57 PDT 2003

Ditto to everything Liza just said about cultural constructs, standards of beauty, they joy of a new lipstick in lean times, etc.

Kelley wrote:
> I dunno, I had the impression that the complaints were >more about people
who are slobs or don't dress well >when they can actually afford not to be and really have no >excuse.

Yes, the point is not that your clothes have to be really expensive. The point is to make the best out of what you have, to take care of your body and your clothes.

> If you're independent, you have to pay for >overhead/supplies. If you
work in an established salon, >then you pay a fee to the salon owner for the space, >advertising, and customer base.

Actually, I'm sure Kelly's right about the wage break down of nail salon employees, that they don't get to pocket that whole $12. My point is that I make so little money right now, I don't feel guilty about really any indulgences for which I pay someone else to do something for me, because I so rarely do it -- and because I don't get paid shit, either, for writing about issues of social relevance as opposed to fuckin airhead pieces.

Otherwise, I don't think guilt -- especially white liberal guilt -- will get anyone very far in rectifying social inequalities. It's important to understand your privelages and your own role in the oppression machine, but like Andie implied, anger will probably do more good than guilt. People shouldn't feel it's their fault that they were born into a fucked up family full of drug addicts, any more than someone born into a privelaged, loving, stable home should feel like they're a better, more deserving person or, conversly, feel guilty for it. The point, again, is what you choose to make of what you've got once you understand all the underlying causes and implications.

-H