[lbo-talk] Third Party Solutions, was Re: Lieberman

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Wed Jul 16 09:38:56 PDT 2003

Carrol Cox wrote:
> Precisely. Everyone can see the hopelessness now of
> 2d & 3d international strategies, but the same people
> fail to notice that "progressive electoral strategies"
> have had even _less_ success over the last century
> and a half. You get brief periods (usually not more
> than 3 years from an 8 year administration) of gain
> (partly real, partly smoke and mirrors), followed by 30
> years in which conservative forces slowly and steadily
> chip away at those gains. The New Deal ended
> essentially in 1938. The New Society (thanks to Nixon
> and his fear of the mass movement) lasted until '73 or
> so. And how much remains of either?

Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Beyond these can be added the end of Jim Crow, female suffrage, the minimum wage, and income tax. Conservatives haven't repealed the Wagner Act. Abortions are still legal. Gains remain. The dynamic between mass movements and elected officials isn't one I'm going to try and explain, but within it the potential progressive role of elections isn't a net loss.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!