[lbo-talk] Gov't "recruits" man as female sex worker

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 16 14:57:19 PDT 2003

From: "Bill Bartlett"

> I wouldn't like my sister to have to work in an abattoir either. They're
both dirty jobs, but the pay at the
> abattoir is really crap. So I wouldn't blame her for choosing the shit job
that pays better. Luckily, both my > sisters are on single parent pensions, so they have been spared the necessity to prostitute themselves in > either fashion.

Yes, I know a few women, now professionals, who say that if they couldn't get professional work, they would go _back_ to sex work, in preference to shitty, badly paid, unskilled jobs.

Maybe the cost of living is lower (?) in Tasmania, making it possible to live on a pension. Over here --- and even more so in Sydney and Melbourne --- many, if not most, of the sex workers _are_ single parents, disability pensioners, students, etc.