[lbo-talk] I don't get it...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 16 15:17:21 PDT 2003

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>Whose burden of proof here? It's reasonable to believe
>that the US govt is lying when it moves its lips.

Financial Times - July 16, 2003

OBSERVER: Come again?

President Bush caught Observer's ear this week during a press conference with Kofi Annan, UN secretary-general. Asked about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, Mr Bush had this to say: "The larger point is, and the fundamental question is, did Saddam Hussein have a weapons programme? And the answer is: Absolutely.

"And we gave him a chance to let the inspectors in, and he wouldn't let them in. And, therefore, after a reasonable request, we decided to remove him from power."

Didn't let the inspectors in, eh? That is not quite how Observer (or Hans Blix) recalls events.