[lbo-talk] I don't get it..

steve philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Jul 16 20:26:18 PDT 2003

I would like to refer people back to what I was replying to. Someone had wondered why the media was only now questioning the claims of WMDs because the claims were "all made up to begin with." I pointed out that, until the actual invasion, very few people even among the Left took this stance, since it was far more likely that Saddam had _something_. The only people who could take this stance with anything like evidence were the actual weapons inspectors-- and even then, they had a whole country to search. Given what was known then, believing that WMDs were fantasy would have been pretty far-fetched. So, it was a bit disingenuous to fault the media for not suspecting that it was "all made up to begin with." --I can say pretty safely that I doubted the veracity from the get go, it was perfectly plain that we were just continuing the barrage of false claims that got us into Gulf 1 and how many hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths from war. If nothing else, the outstanding and careful job that Glen Rangwala did of refuting the original so-called "British dossier" and the subsequent one and Powell/Bush's speeches only further strengthened the plain fact that the Bush administration was desperate for reasons to invade Iraq. The so-called WMD 'issue' was never but farcical from the beginning. The idea that there was some excuse for believing it, especially given what we know about the clown troupe delivering the message of 'imminent threat', is and always was preposterous. Rangwala's counter-dossier is probably the most important systematic refutation of the lies fed to us from 1400 and 10... http://traprockpeace.org/counter-dossier.html http://traprockpeace.org/iraqweapons.html http://traprockpeace.org/iraqweaponsb.html