[lbo-talk] I don't get it..

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Jul 16 21:44:25 PDT 2003

Dennis Perrin wrote:

> To say now, as Chuck0 has, that "we" all knew there was zero, zip to be
> found sounds to me like singing after the music's stopped. It may be that
> Saddam had nothing at all, but to say that you "knew" this back then is
> crap. You couldn't have "known" -- guessed maybe. Hoped. But not known.

That's NOT what I said. I challenged the assertion that the "left knew that Saddam has WMDs." I'd say that there was plenty of doubt on the left about the WMD claims. Personally, I thought that it was possible that Saddam had stocks of poison gas, since that stuff is easily manufactured in any industrial society. I don't remember thinking that Saddam had manufactured nukes of any kind. From what I understand, Iraq was too devastated by the sanctions for Saddam to have a working nuke weapons program. In any case, all of this talk was made further bogus by the fact that Saddam had no capability to deliver any of those WMDs to the U.S.

And I seem to remember that much of the left was talking about oil and imperialism as being the basis for war. Remember? No blood for oil?

Chuck0