[lbo-talk] Re: I don't get it

jbujes at covad.net jbujes at covad.net
Thu Jul 17 10:19:24 PDT 2003

Dennis writes:

"To say now, as Chuck0 has, that "we" all knew there was zero, zip to be found sounds to me like singing after the music's stopped. It may be that Saddam had nothing at all, but to say that you "knew" this back then is crap. You couldn't have "known" -- guessed maybe. Hoped. But not known."

What I was saying was that the people whose job it was to know, knew. That would include the media, the govt, etc. The clearest indication that they knew there was no threat is that they attacked. You must have noticed that we have not attacked anyone in the last thirty years who could actually fight back. Like Arundhati Roy said in characterizing this "war" : "Let's run a race, but first, let's break your legs."

As for why the flap now, there have been some very sensible responses. Thanks.

Joanna