[lbo-talk] Re: I don't get it

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 10:39:26 PDT 2003

> The clearest indication that they knew there was
> no threat is that they attacked. You must have noticed that we have not
attacked
> anyone in the last thirty years who could actually fight back. Like
Arundhati Roy
> said in characterizing this "war" : "Let's run a race, but first, let's
break your
> legs."

> Joanna

As I said. But the thread wasn't about an Iraqi "threat" to our very existence, but whether or not he had weapons. Many, including myself, thought he must have had something, at the very least components. Given Saddam's brutal history, I don't think that that was unreasonable.

And this angle that "those in the know" knew he was armless, thus they attacked, is being used by parts of the pro-war crowd. Again, as I said earlier, Saddam had plenty of weapons in 1990-91, and the US still attacked him. It simply came down to a severe imbalance of power. Saddam wasn't crazy enough to use chemical weapons on US troops when he knew all the US wanted was to kick him out of Kuwait. Why risk his power at home? The US knew this too, which is why (among other reasons) they attacked.

DP