[lbo-talk] the ruling class speaks

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Fri Jul 18 10:33:18 PDT 2003

Brian Siano wrote:
> Okay, that sounds like utter PR bullshit at best,
> and the phrase "re-education" should pop to mind
> almost immediately. But it's going to be needed, if
> only to help people live in a country where Saddam
> is gone. (It's analogous to counseling people after a
> traumatic event or an abusive childhood.)

Only the shrink just seized and occupied the house, and is subduing the residence by any means necessary. The shrink's actions, by definition, cannot be traumatic, and his authority must be accepted before the healing can begin. Hence press codes, curfews, check points, room-to-room searches. And the odd picking-off of rock pitching protestors for the sake of "tuff luv". All part of teaching them what their interests are. They'd thank us if they were healed.

-- Shane

-- "Some paradox of our nature leads us, when once we have made our fellow men the objects of our enlightened interest, to go on to make them the objects of our pity, then of our wisdom, ultimately of our coercion."

-- Lionel Trilling

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!