[lbo-talk] Re: Law Student With a History of Taking Left Turns

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 21 23:43:03 PDT 2003

>Hmm, call me Plekhanov or Wittfogel, but isn't collectivized agriculture a
>precipitant of evil total state control? Is there any example of
>agricultural collectivization without huge nasty bureaucracies?
>
>I don't suppose it must necessarily be so, but the statist commitments of
>the collectivizers definitely finds me in Brad's camp on this one,
>delusional as his ideas about 'defending South Vietnam' are.
>
>Thiago

A great deal if not most of agriculture in the fSU is collectivized to this day. The Duma only legalized private ownership of agricultural land in 2001, against the strenuous objection of collective-farm workers. E.g.:

http://www.apec.adwin.ru/engl/moryak_rybolov.htm

http://www.enet.ru/~zarodiny/info_eng.htm

http://korsakov.sakh.com/eng/kirov.shtml

Russia hardly has a strong centralized state.

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus