[lbo-talk] Bring Them Home Now: Leaflets & Website (from Stan Goff)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 09:19:29 PDT 2003

The tempermental stuff aside, Nathan has a point. Quite apart from US "national security interests," I.e., imperialism, the US cannot ethically _merely_ walk out on the mess that it has created in Iraq and Afghanistan (as indeed, it_has_ in Afghanistan -- and, I'll add, Nicaragua -- remember Nicaragua?). Out troops don't belong there, we shouldn't be occupying the countries or installing puppet regimes. But we broke Iraq (and, to the extent that it was not already broken, Afghanistan), and it would be wrong to merely wash our hands of it and walk out.

Ideally, we should hand over the situation in both countries to the UN, while offering no-strings payments to fix the stuff we blew up and destroyed or allowed to be destroyed. And, while we are at it, we should bring the troops home as soon as the UN can get a functioning police force up in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Unhappily, we wouldn't save much money. We'dsave the expense of occupation, byt we owe vast sums for reconstruction.

Btw, did anyone see an abominable sentence in a recent leader in The Economist (in an issue justifying its support for the war) saying that while the US was shameful in abandoning Afghanistan, Iraq is different because it really matters. (But don't worry, it's not about oil . . . )

So, let's make the antiwar movement we belong to better, shall we?

jks

<http://www.service.ohio-state.edu/students/sif/PTSD.doc>

<http://www.service.ohio-state.edu/students/sif/DU.doc>.

<http://www.softskull.com/store/goff/hideous_dream.html>