[lbo-talk] Bring Them Home Now: Leaflets & Website (from Stan Goff)

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Jul 22 14:57:30 PDT 2003

Nathan Newman wrote:
>ANTI-imperialism is exactly the emphasis on negative proceduralism that I'm
>talking about. It says nothing about what people want, only what they
>don't.

-What it says in this case is that the U.S. has no business invading -countries and occupying them.

No that's what any garden variety isolationism says. George Washington to Charles Lindburg probably would have agreed with that.

>As for what people want, we can have no
>idea as long as B-52s and Bradley fighting vehicles are on the scene.

We had no idea before either because Saddam Hussein was brutalizing them.

And the failure of the Left to have a program for bringing democracy and a voice to the people of Iraq (and Afghanistan and Kosovo and etc.) without use of those B-52s is why it lacks the moral authority to stop any of these wars.

And this all assumes that the presence of B-52s is the main element of imperialism. Tens of millions of people are dying in Africa with little US military presence. Does that make it a haven of enlightened US foreign policy?

-- Nathan Newman