OFFLIST: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Law Student With a History of Taking Left Turns

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Jul 23 12:56:26 PDT 2003

>As I said, there are few apologetics for power that are more extreme
>than this.

So, you're saying that if Chris doesn't think someone is insane, he must therefore be defending them. I don't see where this is implied. He's arguing that 'insanity' is not a helpful analysis, if an analysis at all.

Jenny Brown ^^^^^^ CB: Yea, I think in this case "insane" and "evil" are functioning in the same way: as pejoratives. People are so angry with Stalin for what he did that they want to call him a name. How about "motherfucker" ? Stalin was a motherfucker. My favorite is "criminal". Khruschev called Stalin's acts enormous and unforgivable crimes. What are we to make of Robert E. Lee ? He organized mass murder in an effort to perpetuate a system of slavery. Would Brad D. say Lee had lost his marbles ? Was a motherfucker ? Does Brad feel the same way about Lee that he feels about Stalin ?