[lbo-talk] Chomsky on ending occupation

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Jul 23 13:18:31 PDT 2003

From: andie nachgeborenen

Since this is directed in the first instance at me, I want to say that I do not think that US troops should stay. Out now is a good slogan. But for the reasons that Yoshie has pointed out, there are important differences with Vietnam. Although no one could say what would emerge, because the Vietnamese had formed organizations capable of administering society, total chaos was unlikely. It seems clear that this is not true in Iraq. ...clip ^^^^^^^ CB: I have not really seen it demonstrated that the Iraqi's do not , right now, have organizations capable of administering society, and that if the U.S. were to get out right now there would be "total chaos". The increase in chaos is positively correlated with U.S. presence in Iraq. Humans don't tend toward a war of all against all by nature. The state is an instrument of class rule more than a block against "bad anarchy". ( Please give an example of "bad anarchy" somewhere in history) With all due respect, this notion that the Iraqi's need American or outside help to avoid chaos seems to be a "White man's burden" mentality. Send them food, necessities, etc., (since you physically destroyed much of their material infrastructure- reparations), stop bombing the shit out of them, and they will know what to do to survive and thrive. Why swivilization originates at the Tigris -Euphrates ( smile) All and all, though , I agree that there is not a fat chance that the invaders will do the right thing and leave anytime soon, unless the guerilla war can be escalated fifty to a hundred fold to drive them out.