[lbo-talk] Re: Free Iraq! Come On!

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jul 23 18:14:15 PDT 2003

Justin:

>I didn't say the I's are proven incapable of self govt. I said the
>situation there is chaotic and the conditions for self govt do not
>exist.

You are confusing two different sets of antonyms here: chaos versus order, on one hand; self-government versus foreign occupation, on the other.

Anti-colonialism 101 is to support self-government, be it chaotic or orderly, and oppose foreign occupation, be it chaotic or orderly.

As of now, though, the facts on the ground make our choice easier. The foreign occupation that Washington imposed created chaos, remains chaotic, and will soon spread chaos to the hitherto relatively orderly North of Iraq.

>racist assumptions

Foreign occupation of necessity breeds racist assumptions, especially in the minds of soldiers of the army of occupation who must fight off indigenous guerrilla fighters and therefore come to fear and hate the population into whom they melt back and from whom they cannot be readily distinguished. That's another reason why we must Bring the Troops Home Now and End the Occupation. -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>