[lbo-talk] Re: Free Iraq! Come On!

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 19:16:59 PDT 2003

Of course I support self govt. Unlike Max, I don't think there would be self govt. There would be civil war. That is why there would have to be an interim administration. Again I thibk all this stuff is unlikely. You say, the US cannot be trusted to administer such an administration fairly. I agree. You say the UN cannot either because of US domination. I agree less heartily. The US still doesn't call the shots in the UN, which is why it had to go it alone in in Iraq. Nonetheless, it's not going to happen. Neither is a US withdrawal on any terms you would like. All the demands are rhetorical. They are just a way of making a point that the war and occupation are illigitimate, and that the US has wrecked Iraqi society and can't be trsusted to fix it.

You back off from suggesting that I am a racist to hinting that I have racist assumptions, which is insulting and dumb, because the Palestinians whom I observed in fact have a semi-functioning self govt, are ethnically no different from the Iraqis; it's just that between Saddam's totalitarianism and the US devastation of Iraqi society, the institutions of self govt have not emerged.

jks