[lbo-talk] Iraqi Self-Governance (was something else)

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 24 05:15:04 PDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:00:42 -0400 (EDT), <jbujes at covad.net> wrote:

> Brian writes:
>
> "I'd like to point out that this "functioning state" was fascist
> dictatorship"
>
> ...nurtured and armed by the U.S.

Gosh, really? Never knew that. Glad I tuned in.

> "If the Iraqis develop self-governance, terrific.
> It'll take a long time, however, and what happens in the meantime?"
>
> If the Iraqis develop self-governance, they will be doing much better
> than the
> American people have managed thus far, living in a relatively peaceful
> and
> prosperous country.

This is utter nonsense. If the Iraqis develop self-governance-- that is, a government made up of Iraqi citizens, and decidd upon by a popular plebiscite-- they're still in a war-ravaged country, and they still have to get their economy going. America, however, has been war-free since 1865, its economy's the strongest in the world, and by and large, its government is made up of American citizens who are voted in. I find it difficult to take the statement that Iraq would suddenly be "doing much better than the American people have managed thus far."