[lbo-talk] Iraqi Self-Governance (was something else)

jbujes at covad.net jbujes at covad.net
Wed Jul 23 21:00:42 PDT 2003

Brian writes:

"I'd like to point out that this "functioning state" was fascist dictatorship"

...nurtured and armed by the U.S.

"run with the goal of enriching its core leaders" ... yes and, ....as opposed to what other states who aren't run with the goal of enriching an elite core?

"at the expense of its people" Who else?

"If the Iraqis develop self-governance, terrific. It'll take a long time, however, and what happens in the meantime?"

If the Iraqis develop self-governance, they will be doing much better than the American people have managed thus far, living in a relatively peaceful and prosperous country. Also, Bush and Co, do not think it's terrific at all. One of the reasons they're there is to make sure that doesn't happen: that Iraq does not become too strong or able to govern itself (if its leaders do not go along with Washington's agenda). First we bomb it; then we starve it and irradiate it for the next ten years; then we disarm it; and then we bomb it again. This is major trauma. And now what, sit by their bedside and be their trusted therapists and advisers? An atrocity turned into an obscenity!

"In the meantime" the Iraqis, speaking for themselves, do not believe that things will get worse when the U.S. leaves. They want the U.S. out.

In the meantime: reparations and food/medical/infrastructural relief, and U.S. out.

Joanna