[lbo-talk] e-governance

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu Jul 24 06:41:04 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 10:41 PM, Tom Roche wrote:

> Jon Johanning Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:33:49 -0400
> > Pardon my ignorance, but I've never heard this term "e-governance."
> > Could you explain what it is? Sounds pretty sinister to me.
>
> Why? Think looking up zoning, or city ordinances, or whatever, online.
> Paying bills/fines online. Opening hearings and other deliberations to
> online participation.
>
> Remember, technologies aren't sinister, _people_ are sinister :-)
> Though, given "digital divides," e-whatever will tend to advantage
> the advantaged, at least in the short term ...

I see; I was imagining something like e-surveillance of the population, etc.

BTW, the NY Times today has an article about a report by computer security experts on the flaws in Diebold's e-voting software. If they are as easy to exploit as the report claims, any elections in which this system was used would be highly suspect. The URL for the report is www.avirubin.com/vote.pdf.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org ________________________________ How good bad music and bad reasons sound when we march against an enemy. -- Nietzsche