RES: OFFLIST: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Law Student With a History of Taking Left Turns

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 27 06:24:36 PDT 2003

>-Not withouth reason, since he helped to led the USSR to disintegration. I

I think this is a more or less typical Russian opinion about Gprbachev:

http://left.ru/inter/january/malenko.html

>-"History judges leaders by a unanimous parameter, the state of a country
>before
>-and after this leader. Stalin, despite his methods I ever criticized,
>received
>-the country in a very poor situation and transformed it in a superpower,
>while
>-Gorbatchev did the opposite"...thus implying he thinks Stalin was better.
>-Btw: Medveved´s calculation of 40,000,000 of Stalin victims seems to count
>also
>-non fatal repression victims. Given the short sentences of the majority of
>people
>-who went to the Gulag, this could be a somewhat accurate number.

That makes much more sense, especially if Medvedev was including victims of deportations.

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus