RES: OFFLIST: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Law Student With a History of Taking Left Turns

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 27 08:22:45 PDT 2003

--- Chris Doss <itschris13 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Alexandre Fenelon>... >-Btw: Medveved´s calculation of 40,000,000 of
> Stalin victims seems to count
> >also
> >-non fatal repression victims. Given the short
> sentences of the majority of
> >people
> >-who went to the Gulag, this could be a somewhat
> accurate number.
> >

> That makes much more sense, especially if Medvedev
> was including victims of
> deportations.

Yes, you jumped to conclusion I meant raw # of premature deaths, when citing the Medvedev in Argumenty i fakty and that Soviet textbook from 1989.

On deportations after WWII, one of the footnoted sources in one of the chapters in, "Stalinism:The Essential Readings, " edited by David Hoffman at Ohio State, published by Blackwell in 2003, is, by Alexander Nekrich, co-author w/ Heller of "June 22, 1941, " and, "Utopia In Power, " , "The Punished Peoples: The Deportation and Tragic Fates of Soviet Minorities After the End of WWII. "

Those readings in the Hoffman collection are by Moshe Lewin, Ronald Grigor Suny, Martin Malia, Oleg Khlevnyuk, Stephen Kotkin, Peter Holquist, Sheila Fitzpatrick, Jochen Helbeck, Gail Lapidus, Amir Weiner [a pdf of the introduction to his Princeton Univ. Press book on WWII and the USSR, see here, http://pup.princeton.edu/titles/6957.html ] and Elena Zubkova, a pdf by Fitzpatrick reviewing historiography on the USSR is here, http://www.virginia.edu/~crees/Fitzpatrick_paper.pdf A very comprehensive, booklength review of same see, "Stalin's Russia, " ed. by Chris Ward, published by Oxford Univ. Press, 2nd edition, 1999, http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0340731516.html which looks to be the best summary and critique of all the various schools of thought on the fSU, both Cold Warriors and "Revisionists" who themselves have revised some of their earlier views [cf. Getty, Fitzpatrick, don't know of Jerry Hough has, his Brookings studies were witheringly rubbished in TNR in the 90's]) Michael Pugliese