[lbo-talk] winning the hearts and minds, bakers excepted

steve philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Jul 28 19:51:45 PDT 2003

Although the prince admits having known Saddam Hussein - "He respected me very much" - he said he had not seen the former president for many months. "I have no idea why they came here. But if they want to find anybody in this house they just have to knock on the door."

But while the prince was taking the raid calmly, elsewhere in Mansur it provoked a reaction that was anything but. "We consider the Americans now as war criminals," said Mahmoud al-Baghdadi, a 32-year-old baker. "They claim to be fighting terrorism, but they cannot defend freedom by killing disabled people."

Yaqdan Kadhem, a waiter, said that before he had felt sympathy for the Americans, but now he supported the attacks on US troops. "Until now I was against Saddam Hussein, but now I hate the Americans for what they did yesterday."

The coalition refused to comment on events in Mansur, except to say the raid had been carried out by Task Force 20. http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1007694,00.html