[lbo-talk] EZLN Expels NGOs: Are Pro Do-Gooders Doing Harm?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 12:42:25 PDT 2003

[A few years ago, a good friend travelled to Botswanna to participate in a Habitat for Humanity project. Although she insisted, in an absent minded way, upon referring to this as her "African project", as if the entire continent was receiving the benefit of her good works and seemed a little too pleased with herself I believed at the time that this was essentially a good thing. But I wonder now whether I was right to think so.

Here is an essay by the Zapatista's Marcos that states his position on the question as regards the EZLN. I am not familiar with all the details and welcome gap filling by those in the know. Even so, his critique of the do-gooder networks appears to have the ring of truth.]

Interactivist Info Exchange Independent Media & Analysis EZLN Expels NGOs Date: Saturday July 26, @12:06PM Posted by: nolympics Topic: In the Streets
> From the and-take-your-business-plan-with-you dept.

nolympics submits:

"Chiapas: The Thirteenth Stele Part Two: A Death" Subcomandante Insurgente Marcos

A few days ago, the Zapatista Army of National Liberation decided on the death of the so-called “Aguascalientes” of La Realidad, Oventik, La Garrucha, Morelia and Roberto Barrios. All of them located in rebel territory. The decision to disappear the “Aguascalientes” was made after a long process of reflection…

<snip>

I’m taking out of the chest of memories right now some excerpts from a letter I wrote more than 9 years ago: “We are not reproaching you for anything (to those from civil society who came to the communities), we know that you are risking much to come and se us and to bring aid to the civilians on this side. It is not our needs which bring us pain, it’s seeing in others what others don’t see, the same abandonment of liberty and democracy, the same lack of justice (…) From what our people received in benefit in this war, I saved an example of “humanitarian aid” for the chiapaneco indigenous, which arrived a few weeks ago: a pink stiletto heel, imported, size 6½…without its mate. I always carry it in my backpack in order to remind myself, in the midst of interviews, photo reports and attractive sexual propositions, what we are to the country after the first of January: a Cinderella. (…) These good people who, sincerely, send us a pink stiletto heel, size 6½, imported, without its mate…thinking that, poor as we are, we’ll accept anything, charity and alms. How can we tell all those good people that no, we no longer want to continue living Mexico’s shame. In that part that has to be prettied up so it doesn’t make the rest look ugly. No, we don’t want to go on living like that.”

That was in April of 1994. Then we thought it was a question of time, that the people were going to understand that the zapatista indigenous were dignified, and they weren’t looking for alms, but for respect. The other pink heel never arrived, and the pair remained incomplete, and piling up in the “Aguascalientes” were useless computers, expired medicines, extravagant (for us) clothes, which couldn’t even be used for plays (“señas,” they call them here) and, yes, shoes without their mate. And things like that continue to arrive, as if those people were saying “poor little things, they’re very needy. I’m sure anything would do for them, and this is in my way.”

And that’s not all. There is a more sophisticated charity. It’s the one that a few NGOs and international agencies practice. It consists, broadly speaking, in their deciding what the communities need, and, without even consulting them, imposing not just specific projects, but also the times and means of their implementation. Imagine the desperation of a community that needs drinkable water and they’re saddled with a library. The one that requires a school for the children, and they give them a course on herbs.

<snip>

full at http://slash.autonomedia.org/print.pl?sid=03/07/26/219241