[lbo-talk] De Long Way

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 29 19:47:20 PDT 2003

From: Wojciech Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] De Long Way To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Reply-To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

Brad deLong:
> Look: In September 1939 Chamberlain and Daladier
faced a choice. They
> could either honor their promise to Poland and
declare war on Nazi
> Germany, or they could say "Ooops! We were
bluffing!" and stand aside.

> They chose to do the first.

Not exactly. Their declaration of war was a mere formality, not followed by any deeds (contrary to expectations of the naïve Poles). The real war started a year later when Germans bypassed the Maginot line (the predecessor of the star wars) overrun France and kick out Brits of the continent.

Does someone remember?

Didn't the Polish ruling class have it's State annex part of Czechoslavkia after Munich and before September, 1939?

Curious yellow, Mike B)

===== ***************************************************************** "The sheep feels best, safest, and happiest in the flock, where it has nothing else to do but graze, grow wool, and give birth to lambs. Once the new office workers had reached that stage, when their intellectual capacity and their ambition had become like those of sheep in a flock, that was when they had begun to be useful and reliable pillars of the Company they worked for and which paid them their salary."

from B. Traven's TROZAS

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal