[lbo-talk] Elite Institutions/SATs

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Wed Jul 30 08:13:19 PDT 2003

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>These results in part from David Owen'w brilliant and
>measured indictment of ETS, None of the Above.

Great book, and well worth seeking out at used bookstores. One of my favorite sections is when Owen has the brainstorm to ask media and intellectual notables in NYC to participate in a little experiment: take the SATs, so he could publish the results in his book. He asked a pretty wide range of people-- William F. Buckley, Susan Sontag, various magazine editors, novelists, etc. Nearly everyone refused. Some said they just didn't want to spend the time on the test, and others were frank about potential embarassment. Only _one_ person said he'd be willing to take the SAT again for Owen's project: P.J. O'Rourke. But, since the project was to test the "cream'o'the crop" in the culture of NYC intellectuals, it wouldn't have been worth it.