[lbo-talk] Elite Institutions/SATs

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Jul 30 10:01:34 PDT 2003

Brian/Joanna/Justin/Jacob:

I'm not going to vigorously defend the SATs or the theory of G. I analogized the SAT with a crude measure of obesity (i.e. the Body Mass Index) because I think it's a crude measure of intelligence (and the verbal portion does in fact yield scores that are an excellent proxy for IQ, see http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/95sep/ets/grtsort2.htm). Brian's analogy between IQ tests and his AQ (athletic quotient) test is excellent, though perhaps it would be tighter if the athletic abilities tested correlated highly with one another (e.g. jumping and sprinting) in the same way that the intellectual abilities commonly tested by IQ tests correlate highly with one another. One final note: I believe Michigan's current boy wonder philosophy prof scored in the 1100s on his SATs.

-- Luke