[lbo-talk] perpetuities

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Thu Jul 31 11:46:43 PDT 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 at 9:53am andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> It's not always successful even with a trained lawyer,
> most of whom are idiots like everyone else -- my
> sister asked me to read her new will, I told her I'm
> not a wills trusts & estates lawyer, but I'd look, and
> her WTE lawyer had a perpetuities problem in the will;
> lawyers will know what I mean, and the rest of you
> jsut need to know that if uncorrected, it would make
> the will invalid.

No, I need to know what this thing is :-). Seriously, I've heard this thing before "not encumbering the fee" or something like that which means one cannot leave conditions on property forever. But I've never understood how this can be true, but at the same time you have people like some dead rich woman from New Yorks who's esatate is suing the opera there right now because they used her money to do a 'modern' version of an opera instead of a 'traditional' version.

And people leave land for particular purposes and esates sue if the recipient varies from the prescribed use. so how about Wills, Trusts, & Estates 101 for the kid?

thanks,

-- no Onan

"superior sound quality"