[lbo-talk] Blocks & Filibusters

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Jun 1 13:33:59 PDT 2003

At 4:10 PM -0400 6/1/03, Chuck0 wrote:
>>As for the fetishization of consensus, the problem seems to be
>>confined to a minority of political meetings. Even among
>>anarchists, there is no consensus about consensus, as you can see
>>in the disagreement between Chuck0 and Brian. Consensus was indeed
>>all the rage among youth activists excited by Seattle and the like,
>>but I think it's a passing fad.
>
>Yoshie, I know that you Trotskyists would like consensus to go away,
>but wishing that it would go away is not going to make it go away.

First of all, I have never thought of myself as a "Trotskyist."

Secondly, I don't think consensus will go away, but it is and will be limited to a minority of occasions (like whether or not to practice civil disobedience) and favored by a minority of political meetings.

At 4:10 PM -0400 6/1/03, Chuck0 wrote:
>the best anti-authoritarian antidote to entryism

You get my wholehearted support if you and I find ourselves at the same meeting and you are blocking a motion to practice "entryism" in the Democratic Party. :->

At 4:10 PM -0400 6/1/03, Chuck0 wrote:
>the youth would "grow out" of their anarchist phase.

Those who are committed to anarchism don't necessarily grow out of anarchism, but many of them (whether they are anarchists or not) get jobs as union organizers, community organizers, congregation-based organizers, human rights organizers, etc., and in the process, they develop a more nuanced approach to the question of decision-making and anything else.

At 4:10 PM -0400 6/1/03, Chuck0 wrote:
>off campus

Consensus seems to be more often practiced on rather than off campus. Union meetings aren't run by consensus. -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>