[lbo-talk] Blocks & Filibusters

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Jun 1 15:09:58 PDT 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> First of all, I have never thought of myself as a "Trotskyist."

Leninist. Trotskyist. Social Democrat. It's all the same to me.

> Secondly, I don't think consensus will go away, but it is and will be
> limited to a minority of occasions (like whether or not to practice
> civil disobedience) and favored by a minority of political meetings.

Again, you wish that it would go away, even if you have to backtrack from your earlier wish that it is just a passing phase.

I see it becoming more and more used in the future.

>> the youth would "grow out" of their anarchist phase.
>
> Those who are committed to anarchism don't necessarily grow out of
> anarchism, but many of them (whether they are anarchists or not) get
> jobs as union organizers, community organizers, congregation-based
> organizers, human rights organizers, etc., and in the process, they
> develop a more nuanced approach to the question of decision-making and
> anything else.

And many of these people are still anarchists.

Yoshie, are you denying the existence of anarchists over the age of 25?

This is such fucking nonsense.

> Consensus seems to be more often practiced on rather than off campus.
> Union meetings aren't run by consensus.

No wonder nobody joins a union anymore. Between the big unions, the labor pimps, and the annoying labor history dorks, unions are irrelevant to the lives of most people.

I'm not susprised that an undemocratic institution like labor--which has a long history of partnership with capital--would have a dim view of any process that would empower the rank-and-file.

Chuck0