[lbo-talk] Ignorance in action (was democrats in action)

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Mon Jun 2 15:22:44 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan Newman" <nathanne at nathannewman.org>

Chairman
> -Powell to the FCC board in the first place. we all know who made him
> -chairman, but let's take a long look at who put the incompetent,
uncaring
> -powell on the board where shrub could easily promote him.
> -Mr. Powell, a Republican, was nominated by President William J. Clinton
on
> -July 31, 1997, and confirmed by the United States Senate on October 28,
> -1997.
>
> I really just wish people would learn elementary information about how
> government operates before they post ignorant attacks like this.
>
> Like many independent commissions, the FCC requires that there be a
balance
> between Democrats and Republicans on the commission. (Note that today's
> deregulation decision was opposed by the two Democratic appointees).
Powell
> was appointed to fill one of the GOP slots, recommended by John McCain
who
> headed the Senate Commerce Committee. Presidents usually defer to the
> opposition party on who they want in such slots, and Powell had no
> particular ideological record at that point to pick a war over in
turning
> down McCain's pick.
>
> This is why I just can't take the anti-Dem arguments seriously at this
> point. They are so intermixed with complete false information about how
> government actually functions.
>
> -- Nathan Newman

All R did was post the info on the FCC website. It's hard to take your anti-anti-Dem. pronouncements seriously when you wax Mosaic.

When was the last time the duopoly passed a law that harmed their short-medium-long-term material/institutional interests for the good of the electorate on 1 *substantive* issue--ie engaged in an act of genuine sacrifice?

Ian