[lbo-talk] Ignorance in action (was democrats in action)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 2 15:52:33 PDT 2003

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>Now this is political naivete and it shows the kind of
>ignorance of the way the govt REALLY works that has
>put the Dems in the fix they are now. The GOP long ago
>declared open season on the Dems, and have been
>fighting total war, while the Dems pretend this is
>still Marquis of Queensberry Rules with a loyal
>opposition and both parties concerned about the Good
>of the Country. If the Dems had declared war and
>fought it, they'd be a party worth supporting. As it

I used to be mystified by the Dems lack of partisanship. Not their lack of principle, which is mandated by their contradictory role of being a party of capital that has to pretend to represent popular interests. But their lack of any instinct for the jugular. It occurred to me recently, though, that you can't be partisan without some grounding in principle. The Reps really do believe in Jesus and the Almighty Dollar, and that's why they fight total war. The Dems believe in...well it used to be incumbency, but even that's been taken away from them.

Doug