[lbo-talk] Genocide, Holocaust

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at enterprize.net.au
Tue Jun 3 00:46:08 PDT 2003

At 2:55 PM +0800 3/6/03, Grant Lee wrote:

> in your own interests --- I suggest you are more
>careful in what you say to those who _are_ rich and/or powerful.

As I wrote to a rich lawyer who recently accused me of libelling him, and threatened to take legal action: "Go ahead, make my day." ;-) He took offense when I drew attention to some inconsistencies in his pleadings in a court action in which he was representing my local council.

You don't quite understand the legal technicalities of defamation in this country, but that is no criticism, almost no-one does. In any event I am as poor as a church-mouse (as they say). This means that, under the ancient legal doctrine of 'you can't get blood from a stone' I am totally invulnerable to civil action of such kinds. Barring a re-instatement of the debtors prison that is. If you don't believe me, get a second opinion.

Anyway, you are wrong and I am right. Your interpretation of the genocide convention is untenable.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas

PS: However, according to a recent court ruling: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/vic/VSC/2001/305.html [Gutnick v Dow Jones & Co Inc [2001] VSC 305 (28 August 2001)] poor old Doug might actually be vulnerable to legal action for publishing defamatory remarks. Of course you would need to show that you had suffered damage in this country, which might be something of a hurdle unless you have a reputation here. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030603/4d6dc171/attachment.htm>