[lbo-talk] Iraq denies cancelling oil contracts with Russia

Nomiprins at aol.com Nomiprins at aol.com
Wed Jun 4 07:45:08 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/4/2003 10:28:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com writes:

> My sources tell me that the deal was cut between Washington and Moscow
> concerning Russian oil contract in Iraq BEFORE the war started – remember Voloshin
> ’s visit – he doesn’t travel much outside of Russia. One of the reasons the
> Kremlin could mouth off so much during the war – the deal was already done.

Interesting. What you and chris say makes sense, but, any thoughts on the magnitude of the deal? I mean, Iraq owes Russia $12 billion in debt (according to CSIS) but I thought Russian corporations had up to $52 billion in corporate contracts pending before the war. Are either of those numbers wildly off? Would the deal have been structured to drop the role of Russian companies to a sub-contracting rather than prime-contracting one? Would it have just been for a portion of Russia's outstanding contracts ?

Nomi -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030604/6563d963/attachment.htm>