Subject: [lbo-talk] Genocide, Holocaust

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 13:59:46 PDT 2003

I know EXACTLY what I am talking about. I was a Michigan-trained Sovietologist who, once upon a time, published a fair amount on the political sociology of the USSR. Don't fucking condescend to me, you jerk. I don't need your "forgiveness," amd you know here you can stick it. Maybe you might bother to learn something about the old FSU and about the American upper classes.

As you admit, I am right for the "vast majority" of the nomenklatura -- 99% of them. As for the handful at the top, the score of Politburo members who mattered, the dozen generals and the few captains of industry who counted, they lived a bit better -- more like senior partners at my firm than like mid-level associates. They did not live like the big bourgeoisie, who have wealth that is apparently beyong your imaginings.

Fond regards, jks

Barkley Rosser <rosserjb at jmu.edu> wrote:

I don't think you know what you are talking about. I do (sorry to be pompous about it).

You are right for the vast majority of nomenklatura, especially for those in the provinces. For those really at the top, it was a very different matter. You are forgiven for not knowing because what they did and how they did it simply has never been publicly disclosed, certainly not fully. Barkley Rosser ----- Original Message ----- From: andie nachgeborenen To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 4:14 PM Subject: Re: Subject: [lbo-talk] Genocide, Holocaust

The Soviet nomenklatura lived like the American upper middle classes -- sort of like me, equivalent of a nice house in the burbs or an OK apt in the city, a dacha in the country, a couple cars, a housekeeper (I don't have the dacha or the housekeeper myself, but I suppose I could afford them in principle.) Therewas nothing like the disparity of wealth or luxury between ordinary workers and the American super rich, some of whom I knew from college. jks

Barkley Rosser <rosserjb at jmu.edu> wrote: They were running around in Zils. At the top, they were living pretty well. Anybody want a free plane ride to Sochi? Barkley Rosser ----- Original Message ----- From: "ChrisD(RJ)" To: Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 4:04 AM Subject: Subject: [lbo-talk] Genocide, Holocaust

> From: Michael Pugliese
>
> Instead,
> nationalization of the MOP, by a State-Party Apparatus that had congealed
> into a new Ruling Class, with all the economic and social privileges that
> our Rulers grab for themselves and their families.
> ^^^^^
>
> To say that the Soviet nomenklatura had anything approaching the economic
> and social priviliges of Western elites is quite mad. They went to special
> shops and could buy Western goods. Th! ey weren't rolling around in
Mercedes.