[lbo-talk] Food Fight!

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 19:59:00 PDT 2003

Luke's charitable interpretation is too strained for me. I'd put the interests of the international working class before those of the United States any day of the week -- I am an internationalist! -- but Luke is apparently unfamilar both with antisemitic stereotypes about dual loyalties and with the repugnant nature of American Zionism that puts "what's good for the Jews" as identified with "what's good for Israel" over ever human interest. He's talking a code that isn't in the least ambigiuous and whose horrible meaning is inscribed all over the territory of Istael and Palestine. jks

Luke Weiger <lweiger at umich.edu> wrote:Justin wrote:

> He expressly said in the Nation fairly recently that if it came to a conflict between the interests > of Israel and that of the US, he'd put Israel first.

This is what Alterman wrote:

"...we ought to be honest enough to at least imagine a hypothetical clash between American and Israeli interests. Here, I feel pretty lonely admitting that, every once in a while, I'm going to go with what's best for Israel."

That's equivocal enough to allow for a number of interpretations, and the most charitable (i.e. sometimes we ought to subordinate the interests of our own community to the interests of another) is entirely unobjectionable.

-- Luke