[lbo-talk] American Corporal: "I'm sick of these people!"...

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Fri Jun 6 23:25:32 PDT 2003

steve philion fwd'd form the LA Times:
> Iraqi Attacks Imperil U.S. Rule
> A fatal ambush occurs hours after more forces arrive
> in Fallouja, a hot spot. Nationally, assaults on
> American troops tripled last month.
> By Michael Slackman, Times Staff Writer
>

> FALLOUJA, Iraq - In another sign of rising armed
> resistance to the U.S.-led occupation, one American
> soldier was killed and five others wounded early
> Thursday in an ambush just hours after the U.S.
> Army sent reinforcements here.
>
> Though occupation authorities say they do not
> believe attacks are being organized on a national
> level, they acknowledge that strikes against
> U.S.-led forces have almost tripled - from 30 in
> April to 85 in May - and are planned, in most cases,
> they say, by remnants of Saddam Hussein's
> government. This tense and increasingly volatile
> situation in central Iraq - with Fallouja as the
> primary hot spot - reflects a troublesome trend that
> threatens to undermine the U.S. occupation: Each
> time there is an attack on troops, the military steps
> up the kind of activities that many Iraqis say
> inspire them to resist. And each time the Iraqis
> resist, U.S. forces step up their enforcement efforts.

"My suspicion is that the Iraqis view it as an invasion and occupation, not a liberation. This resistance we are seeing may in fact just be the beginning of organized resistance, not the death throes of Saddam's fedayeen. I've witnessed how insurgencies build in other conflicts -- good guerilla leaders [could appear] who are unknown to us now. They know the landscape. It reminds me of what happened to the Israelis after taking over Gaza, moving among hostile populations. It's 1967, and we've just become Israel. I fear what happened there will happen here."

-- Chris Hedges, Editor & Publisher, April 2, 2003

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!