Subject: [lbo-talk] Genocide, Holocaust

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 7 08:10:55 PDT 2003

Barkley wrote:

>Regional bosses were zeroes. That is why there
>were immigration restrictions for Moscow. Go see
>the movie, "Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears."
>The folks who were living very well were the ones
>at the very top, and they were mostly in Moscow.

Does that contradict my point? For the top guy in the construction industry in a country's second-largest city to be a "zero" suggests that class privileges in the USSR were pretty limited. A comparable exec in Topeka probably has a McMansion, for heaven's sake. Sure, Brezhnev had his 24 Mercedes, but there are probably a couple of million Americans who have more than he did.

Doug