[lbo-talk] Neocons: Trotsky supported "pre-emptive war"

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Sat Jun 7 18:35:58 PDT 2003

People might be interested in the quote from Trotsky, which Stephen Schwartz quoted to me as proof of LT's support of pre-emptive war: "He who does not outstrip the enemy while he is still weak; who passively lets him strengthen and reinforce himself, protect his rearguard, create an army for himself, receive support from abroad, assure himself of allies; who leaves to the enemy complete freedom of initiative - such a man is a traitor." Trotsky said this, I believe, as part of a critique of Stalin's purging of the Red Army -- which was in fact a terrible thing. Jeet