[lbo-talk] Art/Commerce

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 20:26:10 PDT 2003

No, I didn't. But I didn't want to make him think that I was giving him charity. Have you read Maus, The Gift? About complex pattterns of recipocal gift-giving in stone age societies. Very interesting. Also Sahlins has some stuff on this. I don't know all this very well. Perhaps Charles Brown could help out here. He studied anthro with Sahlins, I believe. Right Charles? jks

Bill Bartlett <billbartlett at enterprize.net.au> wrote:At 10:20 AM -0700 9/6/03, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>He didn't make the stuff for profit, doesn't sell it on a market, the "price" is determined by his extrinsic needs, and I'd have given him the $ anyway. Does that sound like commerce to you? jks

Not to him, no. But you were making the case that your gifts to him had some relationship to his gifts to you. I got the impression from that, that you felt some need to give value in return. I'm not having a go at you, just drawing attention to an innocent pattern of thought.