[lbo-talk] Government powers (was: Emailer setting request)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 11 07:04:21 PDT 2003

Doug:

> The only way I'd want to serve in government is if I could have
> people shot. I've got a little list here in fact...

That is an easy way out. Reeducation camps are a far better and more challenging idea - cf. the film _The Last Emperor_ . The Chinese could have the emperor shot but that would not kill the idea of the emperor living in and being reproduced by society. Their success is measured by the closing scene when the ex-emperor says "I'm a gardener" in reply to thequestion "Who are you?"

The Bolsheviks, otoh, executed the tsar, his wife, daughters, servants and pets - and today their icons are being turned into scrap metal, and the dead tsars are heroes again.

Wojtek