[lbo-talk] the real meaning of Santorum

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 11 09:33:03 PDT 2003

[Dan Savage ran a contest through his column to come up with the best sex-related meaning for the word "Santorum". Here's the winner.]

Hey, everybody: We have a winner. Savage Love readers, by a wide margin, want Senator Rick Santorum's name to stand for . . . that frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the by-product of anal sex! It was a landslide for that frothy mixture; the runner-up, farting in the face of someone who's rimming you, came in a distant second. So congratulations to WUTSAP, who nominated that frothy mixture, and a big thank you to the thousands who voted.

But now that the votes are all counted and a winner has been declared and the cheering has stopped, I see a problem. While everyone who has anal sex has to confront a little santorum now and again, no one likes to think about santorum, much less discuss it. A polite buttfucker says nothing about santorum to the embarrassed buttfuckee, and vice versa. They just get up and clean up. Since people don't discuss santorum even with people they've covered with santorum, getting the word into general use is going to be tricky. I'm willing to do my part, however: Please send me your santorum-related questions and/or santorum-related memories and I'll do a column or two on santorum. This will not only help to get the word out and into general use, but also help break the silence about santorum.